The great thing about shepherd’s pie is that it’s super versatile. Here’s a skeleton recipe that you can use to whip up a shepherd’s pie with ingredients that you might already have on hand:
- 2T olive oil
- 1 pound of tofu, tempeh, seitan, or mushrooms. A can of white beans or black eyed peas is nice, too!
- 2c hardy leafy greens, like kale (double or even triple this if you’re using something that reduces when you cook it, like spinach)
- 1 1/2c frozen or canned peas, carrots, corn, or a mixture of these veggies
- 1/4c veggie broth or water + 1T soy sauce
- a quadruple batch of simple mashed potatoes
In a Dutch oven or other stove-to-oven cooking pot, heat the oil and saute the tofu (or whatever you chose) for a couple of minutes, then toss in the greens for a couple minutes more.
Add the frozen or canned veggies and the broth, cover, and simmer on medium for 5-10 minutes, or until the greens wilt and the veggies are defrosted.
Top with the mashed potatoes, then bake uncovered at 375F until the top browns slightly.